Edging to separate lawn from a rock bed?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS Edging to separate lawn from a rock bed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jay Smith
    Participant

I have very little experience with lawn edging.  Can anyone recommend a good landscape edging to separate turf from a rock bed?  I need something inconspicuous. I thought about bend-a-board, steel or aluminum.  Any type of pavement/paver application would be out of the budget.  I’d really appreciate any ideas.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Bump.  Anyone bored on a Friday feel like a little edging discussion?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Hi Jay,

Great question.  The contractors that I have worked with prefer working with the steel edging.  It holds a nice, rigid line while remaining hidden. EverEdgeCol-Met, or Sure-Loc would do the trick.

If you go aluminum, then Permaloc is your go-to.  They have a specific product called CleanLine that I believe will fit your design objectives. 

I would recommend staying away from recycled plastic edging or bend-a-board products.  They do not hold a clean line very well, they are hard to hide, and they typically popup after a while.

Also, check out this related thread on Steel Edging.  

Jay Smith
    Participant

Thanks Andrew, that helps alot!  Is there any reason to think this couldn’t be done by a DIY homeowner?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

I’d vote for Permaloc over steel edging for a DIY project.  I designed a friend’s garden and he installed it himself using Permaloc edging.  It is light weight and extremely easy to assemble and install.  

Steel edging is heavier and slightly more difficult to work with, but could also be installed by a DIYer.  Though, I’d go with Permaloc for easy-of-use.

Hope this helps!  

Daniel Martin
    Keymaster

Aluminum is a much better product, overall than either plastic or steel.  Aluminum won’t rust, rot, or breakdown. It is lightweight, flexible, easy to work with. It is safer, with a rounded bead on top and locking stakes.

Important to remember that all aluminum edging is not created equal though. Certain manufacturers make it to thin, and use outdated connection methods.

But most importantly, you said you want it to be inconspicuous. As Andrew stated, Permaloc CleanLine is  your best bet for a commercial or high end residential. For most residential jobs, Permaloc ProLine would be more than adequate.

Daniel Martin
    Keymaster

Easily installed DIY!

Jay Smith
    Participant

Thanks for the recommendation Daniel and Andrew!  Are there any common installation mistakes with this product I should be aware of?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If a landscape is being professional maintained, why do you need any edging between turf and planting beds?

Jay Smith
    Participant

Because it’s a rock bed and I’d like a cleaner, more well-defined edge for that particular bed. Plus it’s a homeowner doing self maintenance, not a commercial maintenance company coming in every week.

Jay Smith
    Participant

I think after looking at the prices of PermaLoc I’ll be looking at steel edging instead.  While I’m sure it’s a good product, I’m doing this on a budget and I think the look of steel will suffice.  Hopefully installation isn’t too much more difficult.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Mulch and turf I can see working without edging, but rock could be a nightmare without edging.

Daniel Martin
    Keymaster

A quality edging will maintain the designer’s original intent. Each time a bed area is edged by hand the size and shape of the bed is altered by some degree. After years of hand maintenance the lines the designer originally drew won’t look the same.

Daniel Martin
    Keymaster

Edging will also keep grass from growing into the bed area, as well as keep mulch from migrating into the grass. Everything in it’s place!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Metal edging works as good as weed barrier (landscape fabric) at keeping grass out of beds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register