Getting an education abroad?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Getting an education abroad?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Paige
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply! I am applying to a six week summer program through Harvard to make sure this is the career path for me. I love the creativity, the science and the sociology involved but I am hesitant about the more technical aspects- but hopefully I will find out!

Best,

Paige

Paige…….the $4,500.00 fee for pre-college Summer programs @ Harvard sound a bit pricey….but, I think you’re wise to “investigate” to determine if you wish to take on a 3 yr. MLA program…..whether in the U.S. or overseas.

I can recall that my LA graduating class @ Texas A&M had 32 graduates.  However, turns out that ONLY 1/2 of them even pursued Landscape Architecture design careers, lost interest, or just didn’t have the skills and talent to make it in this profession…..so, they changed to a different profession.  I even worked with an LA, who, after 10 yrs., quit practicing Landscape Architecture and went into “banking” with his Father.

My LA class at Texas A&M started out with 60 classmates….but, after the 2nd yr., 30 of my classmates switched to a Horticulture degree or other degree….they couldn’t handle the Landscape Architecture program….and we didn’t even have “computer” software programs back then…everything was “hand drawn”. 

I have a  friend who spent (5) yrs. earning his undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture back in 2007….but, really, to date, has just not accomplished very much.  And has told me he really dislikes autoCAD (computer drafting).

So, as I mentioned before……you really need to realize there is a lot of drawing, design, graphics (both hand drawn & computer graphics), 4 or 5 computer software drawing programs you’ll need to learn.  Most of my LA classes were long….3 hrs. 3 days a week for one….5 hrs. 2 days a week for another….and my classmates and I spent many nights up at the design studio until Midnight in an effort to complete LA design projects.  So, it’s a complex and demanding degree program…and at least for me…the first 12 yrs. didn’t pay all that well.  It wasn’t until about the 15th year as an LA that I began to make substantial earnings…and that was most likely due to the fact that I went out on my own…created my own LA firm (just me) at the age of 41.

So, it really is a wise move on your part…..to do that Summer LA program @ Harvard and see if it’s really what you want to study….and a profession that you will be passionate about….BEFORE you make the investment in a 3 yr. MLA program.

Best Regards,

Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register