Steel Edging

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

Right now, I have something very similar called out in the plan, actually. I think it will look nice for the type of project it is. Thanks for sharing the picture so I can get a better idea of what it will look like!

Kimberly
    Participant

Thanks! All great advice to consider. I really appreciate it!

Geoff Pickles
    Participant

Steel and Aluminium make great edges and as far as injury is concerned any person can trip on anything really ( and as a kid I was always told to lift my feet)…I don’t think anything provides a sharp edge like steel or alloy can..I found the alloy was harder to keep in a straighter line and needed a lot of fixings, in fact soo much that we designed our own edging and got it made by and alloy extrusion company with extra thickness and in the sizes that needed the minimum number of joins. If your design “needs” a clean edge and your client is keen on the idea surely your boss should be happy that the client gets what it wants??

nca
    Participant

the older type that came with black plastic cap is dangerous as the plastic cap peels off leaving the sharp raw edge exposed. There is steel or aluminum ‘rolled-top’ edging now that is much safer as long as you are sure ends are secured and/or even filed smooth(er). I use it and have for quite a while. The trick with metal edging is installing it straight and deep enough to stay secure.

For all of my LA career, I have specified “Ryerson Steel Edging”.  It’s 1/8″ x 4″ to 6″ widths (green) steel that is heavy, durable and bendable.  Though difficult to bend for a typical home owner – but, Landscape Contractors can definitely manage. Steel stakes are used to anchor the edging. 

I tend to disagree with your “boss”, Kim.  Edging really is a “design element” that should be used between lawns and groundcover beds (and in Arizona…between rock beds, groundcovers and lawns).  When your designs call for a dramatic “curve”, this steel edging helps to emphasize the design…though, the “quality” of the installation is important.  There have been times when I’ve seen steel edging that has slight curves or “wiggles”…and the intent was to be a “straight” line…when, it should be absolutely straight – some Landscape Contractors don’t seem to understand this. And my preference when using curved beds is to make them “dramatic & bold”.

Without some type of “quality” edging….maintaining clean lines (whether straight or curved) is pretty much close to impossible.

There are a few “alternative” edgings you could use, if your “boss” still has problems with “steel edging”.  Brick pavers or poured concrete edging can conform to many shapes….is very functional and very visually appealing…though, a bit pricey.  Doing some on-line research, I believe, could give you some good ideas.

For all of my designs, “safety & liability” both have always been a concern.  But, I have never had any concerns about specifying “Ryerson Steel Edging”. 

Jay Smith
    Participant

Sorry I’m a little late to the party here, but is the installation something a homeowner could handle?  I need to do about a 30 foot section that will have some curves.  Do these steel or alum sections bend and shape fairly easy?

Samuel Maindonald
    Participant

hahaha good story about your uncle!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register