Urban planning in L.A.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bård Magnus
    Participant

Hello

We are planning on moving to L.A. and thus are making a stay there this january. Looking for future jobs and network within urban planning, what organizations should I contact to get a presentation and find out what goes on within the field at the moment? I also want to find out if i need any kind of exams, approvements of any kind. I have a master degree on urban planning and implementation of plans from a landscape architects point of view.

Living and working in Oslo, Norway at the moment.

Aaron Ackerman
    Participant

Hello. Welcome. I think you would best connect with the profession through the Amaerica Planning Association (APA). Maybe you are already familiar with APA? A good place to start is their Los Angeles Chapter: http://apalosangeles.org

Bård Magnus
    Participant

Thanx! I’ll read and connect with them.

Bård Magnus
    Participant

That means that there is a lot of work to do turning the site into something else than urban sprawl?

Oslo is beautiful. The economy is good, but threatened by oil peak and climate change.. if we move, we´ll have a foot in the north way.. too. It´s more that my wife is curious on something else after ten years among silent mountain monkeys.

Aaron Ackerman
    Participant

True.  The 101 is awful. But Los Angeles is changing its ways.  And I can’t help but think that the complexity of challenges it presents sure would make it an interesting place to practice.

Bård Magnus
    Participant

I guess Los Angeles will be full of complex and interesting problems were I would like to practice som environment friendly urban planning.

My goal is also to have a company of my own through which I at least can do projects in Norway/Northern Europe now and then – writing, analysis, advising etc.

Tosh K
    Participant

I’m curious to see where the LA River work is going to go – lots of work that will happen related to it.  Getting in touch with the consultants on that project should help (Mia Lehrer, Frank Gehry, etc).

Bård Magnus
    Participant

thanx for the tip! I´ll definitively check out on that project.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register