What can I call ‘this’?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jaeyoung Kim
    Participant

Hi, I’m working at landscape design studio. When I search about seat wall or plaza bench, i’ve found like these images..but i don’t know the name of this(mark) and what this is used for. Just for design or purposeful things?

please let me know~   

Craig Richmond, RLA
    Participant

I don’t know what they’re called, they make it difficult for skateboarders to grind. It damages benches, etc.

Boris Wong
    Participant

i have seen people calling them skateboard deterrents or anti-skateboard cleats.

Jaeyoung Kim
    Participant

thank you!

Jaeyoung Kim
    Participant

thank you!

Joey Donovan
    Participant

These are skate deterrents. They could both be described as anti-skate studs. They prevent skateboarders from “grinding” on street furniture, making them less likely to congregate in public spaces. Widespread now in major UK cities. The y are fairly uncontroversial but are sometimes discussed in the same context as “hostile” architecture, which is an interesting urban design topic. 

Joey Donovan
    Participant

Sorry, I did not see the other replies!

Cameron R. Rodman
    Participant

As a designer, and a skater, I’m on the edge about these. It’s like the middle bar on a public bench. It’s a middle finger to a specific group of people that they are not welcome. But I do get the use of them. I have seen the result achieved in a more aesthetically pleasing way. Check out this pic. Another option is to design the pavement or surrounding layout in such a way that they cannot get a ‘run’ built up towards the component.

Craig Richmond, RLA
    Participant

I can understand not wanting to keep a homeless person from peacefully laying down in a public space, but I wouldn’t think twice about giving a skateboarder more than the middle finger for chipping the edge off of a $100k custom seat wall. I guess it’s easy to make a stand for someone having fun as long as they’re not destroying your property.

So do what you can to connect with and provide comfort to the homeless. And build challenging skate parks in our communities. We could probably do what we need to do enrich our lives if we didn’t have such an enormous need for more aircraft carriers.

–Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register